Brown-Forman Controller, Brown-Forman Distillery Operations in Louisville, Kentucky
Directly responsible for the financial leadership, control, analysis and reporting of Brown-Forman Distillery Operations which includes Brown-Forman Bottling (BFB) with Heritage & Pinnacle production, Brown-Forman Warehousing (BFW), and Brown-Forman Distillery (BFD). Related brands include Canadian Mist, Early Times, Old Forester, Pepe Lopez, Cooper’s Craft, Jack Daniel’s Country Cocktails, plus outside contract brands. Represents an annual operating budget of $30MM, capital budget of $50MM, 10MM OPGs distillery production and 4M 9L cases of bottling volume. This position directly supervises three finance and accounting professionals, as well as three indirect reports.
Directly responsible for the timely reporting, interpretation and clear communication of financial performance for the four diverse operations, including development of annual budgets, capital plans, cost reduction plans, production standards, balance sheet analysis, investment base data, monthly projections and analysis of production cost variances.
Financial Leadership and Analysis (40%)
· Provide business counsel and financial leadership to plant management and leadership teams at each site across Brown-Forman Distillery Operations. Provide insightful, accurate analyses in support of short and long term strategic decisions.
· Directs, coordinates and prepares cost estimates and other financial analysis to identify issues and business opportunities, including outside contract business. Evaluate and investigate opportunities and recommend viable options.
· Oversees the preparation of the annual operating budget and the development of standard costs for the bottling sites. Applies a high degree of independent thinking and decision making. Challenges operations and management to set ambitious yet achievable goals
· Work with local teams and engineering to develop capital budget. Review and approve Capital Appropriation Requests (CAR) including cost-benefit analysis in support on investments. Ensure effective use of financial resources an adherence to related policies and procedures. Lead monitoring and reporting of monthly capital expenditure, timely closure of capital projects and proper classification of resulting fixed assets.
· Direct supervision of three direct reports: BFD Controller, BFB Assistant Controller and TTB Compliance/Process Manager, as well as three indirect reports. Manage the selection, termination, development measurement and motivation of each team member. Recognize and reward diversity practices.
Controlling, Accounting and Compliance (30%)
· Responsible for the monthly closing function and related financial analysis and reporting of results for Production and G & A departments including production cost, variance from budget and standard cost. Provide and interpret analysis for plant management and Global Production Finance.
· Ensure accurate and timely maintenance of the general ledger and make independent decisions regarding adjustments. Responsible for balance sheet account reconciliations and analysis for distilling, warehouse, and bottling operations. Responsible for periodic general ledger closing cycle and subsequent preparation of financial statements and related analyses to accurately reflect business activity based on generally accepted accounting practices.(GAAP)
· Maintains and improves system of internal controls through regular independent reviews and process modifications as needed, through internal and external audit.
· Ensures timely and accurate physical inventory counts, in partnership with logistics team members. Initiates review and proper valuation adjustments for slow moving and obsolete inventory. Evaluate effectiveness of processes, identifies and communicate issues and partners with operations management to drive improvement.
- Support and provide oversight for TTB (Tax and Trade Bureau) audits, approve / review bi-weekly excise tax payments.
· Ensures compliance with all Federal and Customs regulations pertaining to production, warehousing, and shipping of site based products.
Operational Partnership (30%)
· Alongside the BFDO Leadership Team, sponsor and provide leadership in the Continuous Improvement progress of the operation including co-leading the Focused Improvement Pillar, and supporting TPM team deployment.
Partner with the Plant Director to support and at times co-lead the BFDO Strategic Development & Deployment process. Support the teams in establishing plans to achieve the Compelling Business Needs of the operation. This includes working through the team in establishing an annual update of the sites short and long term strategy with Strategic Priorities and subsequent Master Plan.
Ensure cost control and effective budget management by partnering with operational leaders as area business owners. Collaborate to ensure effective decision-making, balancing all operational and financial goals.
Lead cost savings initiatives for the site. Participate on project teams to drive operational efficiencies and process improvements. Quantify the benefits of these initiatives through OEE calculation, or other financial and cost metrics.
· Assists management in the feasibility assessment and development of new products and manufacturing process improvements.
· Provide management support and analysis for labor relations, contract business and other negotiations on an as-needed basis.
· Lead the annual review and update of the site’s Disaster Recovery Plan, in partnership with Risk Management, operational leaders, and Internal Audit.
- As needed, support BFDO leadership, Global Production Finance and Global Production Leadership
Must Requirements / Competencies:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance plus 8 years accounting experience in a manufacturing environment including accounting management experience. Demonstrated proficiency in applying GAAP principles
Demonstrated ability to manage and complete workload, direct and coordinate the work of a team with established deadlines and close attention to detail, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
Ability to build productive relationships and partnerships and influence others.
Ability to lead change and drive for continuous improvement.
Excellent business planning and analytical skills.
Proficiency with Microsoft office and Google software. Comfortable with complex data sources and the understands the importance of data integrity.
Proficiency with SAP or equivalent ERP software including the modules such as product costing, material ledger, materials management, inventory management, production planning, and integrated manufacturing.
SAP ERP Software Production Proficiency
CPA, MBA and /or CMA Certificate.
Strong background in personnel and team development
Explores innovation in technology, people and processes and systems
Experience in alcohol beverage manufacturing environment #SM 1
For more than 145 years, Brown-Forman Corporation has enriched the experience of life by responsibly building fine quality beverage alcohol brands, including Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey, Jack Daniel’s & Cola, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel, Finlandia, Korbel, el Jimador, Woodford Reserve, Old Forester, Canadian Mist, Herradura, New Mix, Sonoma-Cutrer, Early Times, Chambord, BenRiach and GlenDronach. Brown-Forman’s brands are supported by nearly 4,600 employees and sold in approximately 160 countries worldwide
For more information about the company, please visit http://www.brown-forman.com.
We're on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrownFormanJobs
See us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/brown-forman
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Production
Country: United States
Req Type: Exempt