Brown-Forman Jack Daniel's Microbiologist in Lynchburg, Tennessee
Summary of Position
Operates and performs microbiological related tasks for the JDD production:
Ensure unfailing support through the routine task of providing scale up cultures for distillery production processes. Responsible for applying expertise in microbiology and chemistry to develop and execute operating procedures that optimize quality and yield in the distillery. Support process and yield improvements and corrective action projects through technical testing, analysis, and reporting
Maintain distillery yeast and lactic cultures for optimal production performance. Monitor and perform characterization of distillery production cultures. Perform serially sub-culturing of production cultures to optimize yeast performance related to yield and sensory character of new whiskey. Perform pilot fermentation and related analysis to support optimization.
Core Responsibilities of Position
• Maintain JDD microbiological culture collection and perform serially subcultures of production yeast and lactic bacteria cultures
• Manufactures and maintains sufficient stock of microbiological media to support timely scale-up to support JDD production processes
• Maintain distillery microbiological culture collection library in cryogenic storage
• Collaborate with BF on culture maintenance efforts, yeast characterization, and in standardizing microbiological methods
• Perform (Fluorescence) Microscopic analysis of distillery process as needed to monitor, optimize, and troubleshoot distillery processes
• Support the distillery production and QC in all laboratory testing of grains, mash, yeast, water, and new whiskey
• Support distillery operations in regard to distillation, fermentation, raw materials, maturation, processing, testing
• Performs microbiological testing and report on all JDD and JDB DI & RO water systems
• Utilize, develop, and participate in continuous improvement of QMS and HK&S documentation
• Routinely utilize Distillery DCS to monitor and analyze JD Distillery production processes
• Perform HPLC and NIR analysis of production and pilot fermentation samples. Support NIR calibration development efforts
• Perform GC analysis of production and pilot fermentation samples
• Perform assessment of grains and by-products using NIR, GAC, and standard grain grading methods
• Perform pilot distillation and analytical testing of new whiskey from production process and pilot fermentations
• Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications for Position
Must Requirements (including any physical requirements)
• Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences i.e. Microbiology OR Biological Sciences Degree in process with relevant experience working in an industrial microbiology process environment.
• Demonstrated communication, problem solving, data management/interpretations, and multitasking skills
• Demonstrated proficiency with Windows 10 OS, MS Office, Google Mail, and process control systems software
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships.
• Demonstrated mechanical and process aptitude to assess working condition and performance of production equipment
Conditions/Special Requirements of Position
• Willingness to work within distillery and byproduct area production environments and possesses physical capabilities to safely perform job tasks within industrial work settings. Includes the expectations of bending and lifting, heavy objects (50+lbs), climbing stairs, continuous walking/standing over a complete shift. Also includes the ability to see and hear sufficiently well to safely navigate production areas and sense operational conditions and status.
• Maintains awareness of and capable of safely responding to the potential for occasional exposure to hazardous chemicals
• Maintains training on safe response to typical job hazards by donning required Personal Protective Equipment as required.
• Maintains awareness of and demonstrates willingness and capability to conform to all hygiene and sanitation and food safety compliance requirements as detailed in the Employee Handbook. #SM 1
Brown-Forman, founded in 1870, is a diversified producer and marketer of fine quality beverage alcohol brands. Headquartered in Louisville, KY, Brown-Forman currently employs about 4,000 people and has offices or facilities in 30 cities across the globe. Starting in the mid-1950s, the company began a series of acquisitions that would place it among the top 10 largest spirits companies in the world, selling its brands in more than 135 countries across the globe. These include many of the most well-known and best-loved wines and spirits brands, including Jack Daniel’s, Finlandia Vodka, Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, Herradura and el Jimador Tequilas, and Korbel champagnes. For more information about the company, please visit http://www.brown-forman.com.
We're on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrownFormanJobs
See us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/brown-forman
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Production
Country: United States
Req Type: Non-exempt