Brown-Forman Public Affairs Manager, Germany (m/f/d) in Berlin, Germany
Who is Brown-Forman?
Premium quality since 1870
For more than 150 years, the Brown-Forman Corporation has enriched the lives of generations with high-quality alcoholic brands. On the German market, Hamburg-based Brown-Forman Deutschland GmbH distributes and markets a selection of premium and super-premium spirits from the international portfolio. These include the American Whiskeys Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey, Woodford Reserve and Old Forester, the Scotch whiskys Benriach and The GlenDronach as well as Slane Irish whiskey. Fords Gin, Finlandia Vodka, the tequilas El Jimador and Herradura and the Chambord liqueur round off the range. Around 5,200 employees worldwide look after the brands from Brown-Forman, which are sold in approximately 170 countries. The company, which has been family-controlled since 1870, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange and has been recognized as one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies©" 2022. Brown-Forman advocates for the responsible enjoyment of alcohol through global and local initiatives.
Further information: brown-forman.com, massvoll-geniessen.de
Meaningful Work From Day One:
Location - Hamburg (office based) or Berlin (remote, with regular attendance in Hamburg). Willingness to travel to Brussels on a regular basis is also required.
Brown-Forman, a NYSE-listed, top-5 global spirits company and longstanding leader in promoting the responsible enjoyment of beverage alcohol products, has created a new role in the Europe Public Affairs team to lead on public affairs matters and to perform complementary external advocacy initially for the German market, with the potential to extend to Switzerland & Austria in addition.
Role responsibilities will include conduct of key trade association relationships, in particular the BSI, and in conjunction with the Head of Public Affairs Northern & Central Europe, public affairs liaison with key B-F commercial partners, in particular [Gebrueder Heinemann] in the Travel Retail Channel.
What You Can Expect?
● Assess the cultural and political environment affecting the distilled spirits industry in Germany and provide sound strategic and tactical advice to the Corporation.
● Work closely with B-F management in Germany to develop and implement a proactive agenda to advance the Corporation’s commercial interests. This will involve:
○ working to protect the Corporation’s interests from threats that would worsen the commercial environment for the responsible sale and marketing of distilled spirits; and
○ identifying and working (most often collectively with others in the beverage alcohol industry) to reform existing laws, policies and regulations that either unreasonably impede or offer opportunity for B-F’s business in Europe. Current focus areas include international trade & tariffs, excise and other taxes, e-premise channel access, public health matters and marketing, advertising and labeling regulation.
● External Advocacy: Coordinate all German lobbying on behalf of the Corporation. Serve as an advocate and spokesperson on political and alcohol responsibility matters and
for the Corporation’s interests with national governments, regulators, and associated national government embassies and delegations, and co-ordinate and contribute to such activities as necessary with respect to the European Institutions and global multilateral organisations such as the WHO.
● Alcohol Responsibility: Strategically inform, identify and advise all relevant stakeholders on public policy initiatives to promote industry self-regulation, alcohol education, and alcohol responsibility throughout the Corporation’s German business.
● Trade Associations: Serve as the Corporation’s primary representative on day-to-day matters involving trade associations in Germany.
● Travel Retail Channel: Act as public affairs lead on Brown-Forman’s Travel Retail Business in Germany, including liaison (with the Head of Public Affairs, Northern & Central Europe) with principal regional/global GTR customers headquartered in Germany, such as Gebrueder Heinemann.
● [When appropriate, support and/or lead B-F advocacy with EU institutions and other key stakeholders in Brussels, working with public affairs team colleagues and others from across the business.]
What You Bring to the Table?
College/University (Bachelors or Equivalent) Degree.
Extensive experience in public affairs and government relations, to include:
○ formulation and drafting of policy positions and public affairs strategies.
○ design and implementation of public affairs advocacy campaigns (and associated public relations).
○ in-person advocacy to public officials and a range of external stakeholders.
○ legislative/regulatory analysis.
○ reputation management.
○ engagement in industry affairs, representation at trade associations.
- Fluent business and ‘regulatory’ English and German.
Degree in government/politics, law, communications or related field.
Experience in alcohol or other highly regulated industries will be strongly preferred.
Experience in public affairs concerning marketing policy, public health, taxation, sustainability, consumer product design & labelling, ethics & compliance.
[Experience of working in Brussels and with EU and associated institutions and
Experience with government consultations or enquiries, and the drafting of governmental submissions.
Familiarity with a corporate social responsibility and ESG agenda.
Experience in working in an international environment and/or in and with remote or
Nothing Better in the Market
Total Rewards at Brown-Forman is designed to offer our people a Premium Experience to ensure our sustainable and profitable growth for generations to come. As a premium spirits company, we offer equitable pay & bonus based on individual and company performance. We offer a range of benefits that reflect company values and meet the needs of our diverse workforce.
At Brown-Forman Germany, some highlights of the competitive benefits are flexible working options for a better work-life balance, family service, product allowance, gym cooperation, JobRad, company pension as well as the opportunity to get involved in one of our employee resource groups on topics that go beyond your actual job and broaden your horizons.
Business Area: Global Legal & Risk Management
Req ID: JR-00004706