Brown-Forman Controller Mexico and LAR in Guadalajara, Mexico
• Responsible for Brown-Forman’s US GAAP and statutory accounting and certain financial analysis for Mexico and LAC. The business in these regions is growing and diverse – it includes a variety of business models and a blend of developed and emerging market economies.
• Ensure the accuracy and integrity of Brown-Forman’s financial records with respect to (a) US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), (b) local statutory requirements, (c) all relevant tax regimes, including US and local income tax purposes as well as local consumption and state taxes, and (d) management reporting.
• Assist the Americas Corporate Controller in providing accounting and controlling advice on potential transactions or business change and analytical support to senior corporate and divisional management and participate in projects leading to significant growth for the Company. Provide accounting advice to members of Finance team. This position is assigned to major projects requiring high level analysis, creativity, change management skills and significant business judgment.
• Proactively work on tax strategies to help improve/reduce the company's tax load and exposure by working with Global Tax teams, external advisory and the different external tax committees in ConMexico, CIVyL, CRT, etc.
• Actively participate in different forums within the industry (AmCham, CIVyL, ConMexico, CRT, etc.) to understand potential tax reforms, the impacts to BFM's tax obligations and proactively defend the company's interests.
• Ensure the adequacy of internal controls associated with business processes and the adherence of those processes to company policies and procedures, including compliance with regulations such as Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX). Work with the different process owners and Management in creating and maintaining a strong Control environment.
• Assist the Finance Directors and their respective teams by providing superior accounting support and advice.
• Lead, develop and motivate local teams consisting of accountants, accounting managers, senior tax analysts and other professionals. Supervise approximately 5 direct reports, and an extended team of +25 professionals.
• Responsible for the following business processes: Internal Control, Taxes, Accounts Payables, Accounts Receivables, Accounting, Fixed Assets, Payroll, T&E Reimbursements, and certain risk management and fleet activities.
• Partner with Production Finance to ensure that accounting records related to inventory and COGS are properly accounted for in the Financial Statements.
• Liaise with internal and external auditors for issues and questions regarding the business unit.
• Maintain an open process improvement mindset, identify opprotunities to automate/improve processes and partner with different teams to accomplish automation and simplification.
• Integrity of Financial Records and statutory Financial Statements and Annual Tax Report.
• Responsible for ensuring all financial records are maintained in accordance with US (GAAP), management reporting requirements and relevant SEC, tax and international statutory regulations. Responsible for ensuring the accuracy and integrity of all financial records, including financial statements and general ledger data. Observe, apply and ensure GAAP and appropriate internal and SOX controls are followed for all Latin America business units.
• Responsible for the accounting for the Latin America region. This includes but is not limited to accounting transactions for all aspects of the monthly P&L’s, balance sheet reconciliations, MSA and intercompany transactions, and VAT and Excise tax filings. Responsible for the interpretation of US GAAP as it relates to situations arising in the business. Responsible for monthly, quarterly and annual accruals and management of the various processes in place to assist in providing these accruals. Certify to the accuracy and correctness of quarterly financial results for area of responsibility. Liaise and provide analysis to the outside auditors for the annual audit.
• Serve as business partner to the respective business units by analyzing operating results prior to monthly results being released as final. Also, provide analysis on an ad hoc basis when requested by the business unit. Includes analyzing performance versus various measures to identify areas for improvement and potential problems.
• Provide leadership, direction and personal development for Controllership team (+25 members).
• Establish a strong local professional management team in order to develop local capabilities to support market and regional business growth.
• Ensure that all local administrative requirements are undertaken in an efficient and effective manner, complying with local legal requirements and B-F corporate guidelines
• Ensure compliance with B-F Code of Conduct.
• Liaise with relevant Brown-Forman disciplines as appropriate, such as Tax, Legal, Customer service, supply chain etc.
• Special projects
Special projects to include but are not limited to:
Management and supervision of accounting and analysis related to Tax strategy projects
Management and supervision of accounting and analysis related to Treasury strategy projects
Management and supervision of local statutory projects including VAT compliance
Management and supervision of process improvement projects (Concur, etc.)
Degree in accounting (Mexican equivalent to Bachelor Degree) or management plus ten to twelve years of experience in finance/accounting field. Demonstrated working knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and US public company requirements – Sarbanes-Oxley, SEC reporting, etc. Latin American experience is desired, as well as previous controllership experience.
Demonstrated ability to work with multiple cultures, various and changing. business models and various accounting systems and tax regimes.
Certified Public Accountant or equivalent.
Public accounting experience, preferably a Big 4 firm.
Fluent in English and Spanish.
In-depth and demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, international accounting practices, concepts and standards. This includes respective local country rules, requirements, business practices, etc.
Demonstrated ability to manage and complete workload within designated time giving close attention to detail to ensure work is complete and accurate.
Ability to work with heavy workloads and multiple projects. Proven ability to complete high quality work product within established time frames. Work with ambiguous situations.
Possess the ability, desire and skills necessary to interact with upper management and to advance within the organization.
Broad process improvement mindset.
Time and resource management
Relationship & Networks
Process improvement mindset
Brown-Forman, founded in 1870, is a diversified producer and marketer of fine quality beverage
alcohol brands. Headquartered in Louisville, KY, Brown-Forman currently employs about 4,000
people and has offices or facilities in 30 cities across the globe. Starting in the mid-1950s, the company began a series of acquisitions that would place it among the top 10 largest spirits companies in the world, selling its brands in more than 135 countries across the globe. These include many of the most well-known and best-loved wines and spirits brands, including Jack Daniel’s, Southern Comfort, Finlandia Vodka, Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, Herradura and el Jimador Tequilas, and Korbel champagnes. For more information about the company, please visit http://www.brown-forman.com.
We're on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrownFormanJobs
See us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/brown-forman
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment.
It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: BF Tequila Mexico
Req Type: Exempt