Brown-Forman Controller - Brown-Forman Distillery Operations in Louisville, Kentucky
Meaningful Work From Day One Directly responsible for the financial leadership, control, analysis and reporting of Brown-Forman Distillery Operations which includes Brown-Forman Bottling (BFB) with Heritage & Pinnacle production, Brown-Forman Warehousing (BFW), Brown-Forman Distillery (BFD) and Woodford Reserve Distillery. Related brands include Early Times, Old Forester, Pepe Lopez, Cooper’s Craft, Jack Daniel’s Country Cocktails, Woodford Reserve, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Apple, and outside contract brands. Represents an annual operating budget of $45MM, capital budget of $17MM, 10MM OPGs distillery production and 4M 9L cases of bottling volume. This position directly supervises three finance and accounting professionals, as well as two indirect reports. Directly responsible for the timely reporting, interpretation, and clear communication of financial performance for the five diverse operations, including development of annual budgets, capital plans, cost reduction plans, production standards, balance sheet analysis, investment base data, monthly projections and analysis of production cost variances. In addition, the position is responsible for maintaining strong financial controls and overseeing monthly and quarterly accounting activities such as closing and reconciliations.
What You Can Expect
Financial Leadership and Analysis (45%)
· Provides business counsel and financial leadership to plant management and leadership teams at each site across Brown-Forman Distillery Operations and Woodford Reserve. Provides insightful, accurate analysis in support of short- and long-term strategic decisions.
· Directs, coordinates, and prepares cost estimates and other financial analysis to identify issues and business opportunities, including outside contract business. Evaluates and investigates opportunities and recommends viable options.
· Oversees the preparation of the annual operating budget and the development of standard costs for the bottling sites. Applies a high degree of independent thinking and decision making. Challenges the operations and management to set ambitious yet achievable goals
· Works with local teams and engineering to develop annual capital budgets. Reviews and approves Capital Appropriation Requests (CAR) including cost-benefit analysis in support of investments. Ensures effective use of financial resources in adherence to related policies and procedures. Monitors and reports on monthly capital expenditure, timely closure of capital projects and proper classification of resulting fixed assets.
· Direct supervision of four direct reports: BFD Controller, BFB Assistant Controller, BFB Lead Financial Analyst and WRD Controller, as well as two indirect reports. Manages the selection, termination, development, and motivation of each team member. Recognizes and rewards diversity practices.
Controlling, Accounting and Compliance (35%)
· Responsible for the monthly closing function and related financial analysis and reporting of results for Production and G & A departments including production cost, variance from budget and standard cost. Provides and interprets analyses for plant management and Global Production Finance.
· Ensures accurate and timely maintenance of the general ledger and makes independent decisions regarding adjustments. Responsible for balance sheet account reconciliations and analysis for distilling, warehouse, and bottling operations. Responsible for periodic general ledger closing cycle and subsequent preparation of financial statements and related analyses to accurately reflect business activity based on generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP).
· Maintains and improves system of internal controls through regular independent reviews and process modifications as needed, through internal and external audit.
· Ensures timely and accurate physical inventory counts, in partnership with logistics team members. Initiates review and proper valuation adjustments for slow moving and obsolete inventory. Evaluate effectiveness of processes, identifies and communicate issues and partners with operations management to drive improvement.
- Supports and provides oversight for TTB (Tax and Trade Bureau) audits, approve / review bi-weekly excise tax payments.
· Ensures compliance with all Federal and Customs regulations pertaining to production, warehousing, and shipping of site-based products.
Operational Partnership (20%)
· Alongside the BFDO Leadership Team, sponsor and provide leadership in the Continuous Improvement progress of the operation including co-leading the Focused Improvement Pillar and supporting TPM team deployment.
Partners with the Plant Directors to support and at times co-lead the BFDO Strategic Development & Deployment process. Supports the teams in establishing plans to achieve the Compelling Business Needs of the operation. This includes working through the team in establishing an annual update of the sites short- and long-term strategy with Strategic Priorities and subsequent Master Plan.
Ensures cost control and effective budget management by partnering with operational leaders as area business owners. Collaborates to ensure effective decision-making, balancing all operational and financial goals.
Leads cost savings initiatives for the site. Participates on project teams to drive operational efficiencies and process improvements. Quantification of the benefits of these initiatives through OEE calculation, or other financial and cost metrics.
· Assists management in the feasibility assessment and development of new products and manufacturing process improvements.
· Provides management support and analysis for labor relations, contract business and other negotiations on an as-needed basis.
· Leads the annual review and update of the site’s Disaster Recovery Plan, in partnership with Risk Management, operational leaders, and Internal Audit.
- As needed, supports BFDO leadership, Global Production Finance and Global Production Leadership
We Are Looking For People Who
Have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration plus 10 years accounting/finance experience in a manufacturing industry including site level accounting/finance leadership experience. Demonstrated proficiency in applying GAAP principles.
What You Can Add To The Team
Education: Master’s Degree (M.A., MBA or Equivalent); Accounting, Finance or Business
Certifications: CPA, CMA
Experience: experience in beverage alcohol or consumer goods manufacturing environment
Demonstrated ability to effectively manage/motivate people and projects; ability to multi-task and work with a focus on results. Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization. Ability to build productive relationships and partnerships and influence others. Ability to lead change and drive for continuous improvement. Excellent business planning and analytical skills. Proficiency with Microsoft office and Google software. Comfortable with complex data sources and the understands the importance of data integrity. Proficiency with SAP-ERP software including the following modules: product costing, material ledger, materials management, inventory management, production planning, and integrated manufacturing.
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Finance
Req ID: JR-00003050