Brown-Forman Operations Manager - Old Forester Distillery in Louisville, Kentucky
Meaningful Work From Day One:
The Production Manager is responsible for managing the distillery, processing, bottling,
cooperage, and maintenance operations to produce high quality, on-time and
cost-efficient product with an annual volume of >130k cases, over 1,300 barrels, and for
a 100k proof gallon highly automated, and integrated downtown distillery showplace.
Accountable for delivering Short and Mid-term Site Key Performance Indicator Targets -
including Safety, Morale, Quality, Productivity, Delivery, and Cost.
Manages, schedules, and leads 12 full-time operations personnel and one co-op.
Ensures a safe workplace by taking a proactive approach to safe work conditions and
practices. Develops, establishes and monitors quality and productivity measures for key
performance indicators. Ensures that operations personnel have the required training to
perform their jobs. This position works a regular 8 AM - 5 PM schedule from Tuesday
through Saturday in a one shift operation.
What You Can Expect:
● Oversee end-to-end operations for supply chain, cooperage, distillation, maturation,
and bottling operations.
● Manage daily production team activities by prioritizing safety and quality while
driving for a high level of efficiency within a cost competitive environment.
● Oversee total maintenance activities - including planning and scheduling,
contract management for all mechanical, electrical, and utility systems to
maximize plant efficiency. Additionally create strategic partnerships with
external contractors and vendors to develop effective equipment maintenance
systems for the entire operation.
● Provide guidance, technical support to the operations team including training,
coaching, accountability, and defining problems while directly linking them to the
● Deliver breakthrough and sustainable cost savings through strategic deployment
of continuous improvement principles.
● Partner with Process R&D, corporate engineering, quality assurance, packaging,
supply chain, finance, and Integrated Business Planning functions on all
strategic initiatives impacting Old Forester.
● Develop, implement and evaluate job specific skills training for each individual
● Facilitate growth and development opportunities for staff and establish and monitor
● Ensure integration with and coordination between distillery maintenance and
operations personnel in addition to working directly with equipment and
● Manage and optimize spare parts inventory to optimal levels in concert
with facilities maintenance and maintenance staff.
● Develop and utilize inventory management systems and serve as the central
point of receiving for shipments to maintenance.
● Develop justification and project scope, and execute capital improvements to
production facility and equipment to reduce operating costs, improve product
quality, and increase safety and productivity.
● Lead Commissioning-Qualification-Verification process for capital projects within
● Support and enhance all QC, Food Safety, and EHS requirements to maintain proper
procedures and documentation and to ensure that these procedures are being
● Stays abreast of changing regulatory, environmental, safety, OSHA and other
requirements through training and education as they pertain to engineering and
maintenance support. Provides for the general growth and development of
subordinate staff, establishes performance standards and monitors and evaluates
performance within these standards.
● Responsible for developing and executing the annual shutdown plan.
● Collaborate and partner with the Homeplace team to ensure a premium guest
experience in the production areas of the tour.
What You Bring to the Table:
● Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or a minimum five years experience in
operational management; or equivalent education and work experience.
● Demonstrated oral /written communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work within a team environment.
● Demonstrated mechanical aptitude to assess performance of equipment utilized in
● Demonstrated ability to lead a multi-functional team in a fast-paced environment.
● Ability to independently manage and complete assigned workload within
established deadlines and to constantly seek new ideas.
● Ability to work additional hours and/or shifts to meet departmental goals.
● Ability to implement employee involvement initiatives and contribute to the
growth of team-based management.
● Ability to recognize new applications and lead change to improve processes.
What Makes You Unique:
● Masters Degree (M.A., MBA or Equivalent)
● Understanding of TTB compliance and regulations.
● Experience within a Food Safety certified facility.
● Management/ supervisory experience within the distilled spirits industry and/or
Consumer Packaged Goods industry.
● Strong interpersonal relations skills.
● Experience with TPM tools and success running Continuous Improvement
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Supply Chain
Req ID: JR-00006856