Brown-Forman Packaging Engineer I in Louisville, Kentucky
Responsible for the development and execution of Packaging Materials including: providing packaging component prototypes for approval, preparation of material specifications and manuals, participation in vendor selection and review and coordination of all testing to ensure high quality final packages.
Basic Function: Develops packaging requirements for new and existing specialty products. Supports printed material development. Works with vendors to ensure commercial availability, determines structure specifications, conducts vendor audits, recommends vendor selection and initiates all appropriate testing. Attends both vendor material runs and BF plant initial product runs involving specialty packaging materials.
• Develops the proper structures to meet packaging requirements for new and existing products. Works with vendors to ensure availability, develops prototypes for approval and prepares all necessary specifications. Recommends vendors and conducts vendor audits as required.
• Initiates testing of new packaging materials and attends production runs to confirm proper adherence to specifications and quality requirements.
• Serves as Project Manager or Team Manager for new products/packages as required. Serves as packaging representative and coordinates the flow of information between the project team and the Beverage Packaging Group. Attends pilot and new production start-ups and has the authority to stop or delay production, if package quality specifications are not achieved.
• Serves as consultant to Creative Design, Marketing and Production on packaging materials and packaging material development. Responsible for solving packaging material or production line problems and works with production facilities to recommend and implement solutions.
• Investigates new packaging materials and processes for quality improvements or cost savings opportunities. Prepares management presentations and assists in implementation of approved ideas.
• Maintains thorough and up-to-date knowledge of packaging technology and capabilities through packaging publications, packaging trade shows, vendor meetings and vendor visits.
• Assists in the development, testing and specification of all printed labels and shrink materials.
• Ability to provide full coverage of label, shrink and gift development responsibilities as needed.
Required Experience & Education:
Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging from a recognized School of Packaging.
• Ability to serve as project team member or leader and interact with all levels and functions within the Company.
• Ability to work with Production personnel in developing new packaging materials, and in formulating and implementing approaches for reducing packaging costs.
• Ability to flex work assignments and responsibilities to support the needs of the Packaging Engineering group.
• Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to effectively interact with different personalities in various fields and company backgrounds.
• Knowledge of package materials testing procedures and writing of specifications.
Preferred Experience & Education:
Experience: • 1-2 years of practical packaging materials experience.
• Beverage, Beverage Alcohol and/or Consumer Packaged Goods Packaging Experience
• Promotional gift packaging material experience
Grade 26 National
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Production
Req ID: JR-00000401