Brown-Forman Senior Buyer in Louisville, Kentucky
Responsible for the purchasing of maintenance, repair, operating supplies, services, contracts, capital equipment and packaging materials for the Brown Forman Cooperage. Selects sources of supply and obtains multiple bids where possible, partnering with Controller to ensure negotiated prices are in the best interest of Brown-Forman, and expedite deliveries to maintain optimal plant efficiencies. Coordinates with all production areas within Brown Forman Cooperage, Brown-Forman Corporate Purchasing, Engineering, suppliers, and other interested personnel in developing product specification and substitutes to ensure a continuous and smooth flow of top quality materials at the lowest cost. Site Administrator for the Corporate Purchasing Card program. Basic functions to be accomplished within the purchasing guidelines established by Brown Forman Cooperage and within the SAP and Coupa systems.
Scope: • Responsible for the purchasing of goods and services for Brown Forman Cooperage totaling $4.0MM per year. • Responsible for the accurate operation and utilization of the procurement portion of SAP and Coupa • Site Administrator for the Corporate Purchasing Card program. • Identifies system problems and interfaces with Corporate Purchasing and Brown Forman Cooperage system users. • Monitors and measures supplier performance utilizing SAP, Coupa and internal systems.
• Provides input on decision making, seeks personal growth, and displays collaboration, teamwork, self initiative and problem solving in a respectful and safe environment with a high degree of self awareness, accountability, credibility, confidentiality, integrity, and professional ethics.
• The Buyer is part of a team that supports all aspects of the barrel making process, focusing on quality, innovation, environmental practices, maximizing wood utilization and embodying our safety guidelines.
• Works in an inclusive work environment and an environment that fosters recognition.
• Ensures the effective procurement of all maintenance, repair and operating supplies for the Brown-Forman Cooperage facility, including capital equipment and contracted services in accordance with Brown-Forman and ISO policies and procedures.
• Manages the contract purchasing for general services and construction contracts in conjunction with engineering to include systems contracts for assigned commodity items. Collects and reviews insurance certificates from contractors and maintains current files. Negotiates purchases of assigned materials and services based on analysis of data, pricing, structure, terms, FOB point, warranty provisions, shipping requirements, tax status, and any other comparable items to ensure vendor performance. Establishes or maintains blanket orders as required.
• Ensures effective use of SAP and Coupa systems. Resolves system exceptions, (GRIR) as required. Interacts with Brown-Forman Corporate Purchasing and TSG to resolve system problems and improves operational efficiency.
• Reviews specifications and ensure materials ordered meet proper quality standards. Monitors all chemicals, and related materials to make sure supplier submits MSDS for approval.
• Administers B-F Corporate Purchasing Card to ensure that corporate policies and procedures are followed. Includes maintenance of master list, requesting and deleting cards, auditing purchasing cards logs/statements, and the required file maintenance of records.
• Maintains contact and effective working relationships with all levels of personnel both internal and external. Coordinates with all departments and appropriate areas to obtain the best quality of materials and services at the lowest overall cost.
• Reviews invoicing/pricing issues and communicates with vendors regarding payments, short pays, etc.
• Maintains contacts within the vendor community in order to source and select the best vendors, which includes the investigation of facilities to ensure the vendor has the ability to meet quality specifications and delivery requirements.
• Determines and recommends to the Controller procedures for plant purchasing that are consistent with procedures and policies.
• Composes and issues correspondence and maintains purchasing files.
• Gathers data on assigned materials and services and partners with Controller to ensure negotiated purchases are based on analysis of data, pricing structure, terms, FOB point, warranty provisions, shipping requirements, tax status, and any other comparable items that ensure vendor performance. Establishes or maintains blanket orders as required.
Required Experience & Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Materials Management, Business, Engineering, or a related field, combined with 4 – 6 years of experience in purchasing one or more of the following: maintenance, repair, operating supplies, and other production related materials.
• Demonstrated analytical/mathematical skills, as well as Engineering and/or mechanical related skills.
• Ability to read and interpret electronic and hard copy blueprints.
• Comfortable giving audiovisual presentations to both suppliers and internal Brown-Forman audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to negotiate contracts, secure bids, and evaluate requests for quotations. Basic accounting knowledge.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Kentucky sales tax regulations to ensure proper application of rates.
• Demonstrated administrative skills necessary to establish the proper work priorities; ability to act with initiative regarding follow-up and the completion of multiple projects. Knowledge of computer operation and use, with ability to learn SAP and Coupa procurement systems. Experience with statistical based supplier performance management systems.
• Demonstrated oral communication skills; ability to formulate response to detailed questions in representing corporate policy/practice within function. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of internal personnel and external supply base.
• Demonstrated written communication skills; ability to compose final draft memos/project reports.
• Demonstrated competency in Google Applications, SAP, and Coupa. Demonstrated competency in Internet resources relating to purchasing research.
Preferred Experience & Education:
Certifications: CPM and/or APICS certification
Experience: SAP and Coupa system experience strongly preferred
Familiar with manufacturing environment
Experience/Knowledge of manufacturing components and suppliers
Grade 27 National
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Finance
Req ID: JR-00000427