Brown-Forman Senior Log Buyer in Louisville, Kentucky
Responsible for purchasing white oak logs for one or more of Brown-Forman Cooperages’ stave mills. Directly responsible for purchasing 2-3 million cut log feet per year valued at $12 million or more. Indirectly supervises the activities of hourly employee log scalers, loaders and contract drivers in the transportation and delivery of logs.
Communicates with mill and operations’ management, analyzes inventory and production data and evaluates available timber supplies to plan and determines log purchasing plans and activities for area of responsibility. Evaluates industry trends, log inventories and other pertinent data in recommending and establishing log prices for purchasing quotas. Provides input into budget and operations’ planning and manages operations within established budgets. Insures log procurement activities adhere to all applicable local, state and federal regulatory, environmental and legal concerns. Establishes standards for safety, quality and productivity and performs to or manages areas of responsibility to these standards. Assists in the inspection and take- up of staves and heading as needed.
• Manages log procurement activities and directly grades, scales, measures and
purchases cut logs and coordinates their transportation and delivery to B-F mills. 50%
• Develops, cultivates and maintains long-term relationships with wood industry suppliers,vendors and regulatory officials and negotiates and cultivates long-term procurement agreements with log suppliers. 15%
• Coordinates with individual mill managers to determine immediate and long-term log supply needs; prepares implements and manages purchasing and procurement plans to achieve procurement goals. 5%
• Provides input into quality standards, policy, pricing and guidelines for log grading and purchasing and manages operations to insure goals and guidelines are adhered to. 5%
• Stays abreast of local, state, federal or other regulatory, environmental, legal or transportation rules and requirements and operates to comply with all applicable procedures. 5%
• Coordinates and manages the sale of veneer or unusable logs to outside customers. 5%
• Follows the standards and practices for record keeping, data and information gathering and other administrative tasks and duties. 5%
• Establishes and follows safety standards and working practices and procedures in areas of responsibility and performs to these standards.5%
• Assists in stave and heading take-up and inspection as needed. 5%
This position will work in the state of Illinois.
Required Experience & Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Biology or similar field with at least 5 years’ experience in high grade hardwood procurement OR a minimum 10 years log procurement experience specializing in white oak or a combination of experience and education. Broad-based knowledge of forestry practices and procedures, logging and timber harvesting practices, hardwood markets and trends, wood technology and general knowledge of log handling equipment and procedures.
The candidate must demonstrate a working knowledge of computer software programs that includes spreadsheets, presentation and word processing software. They must demonstrate the ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision and have excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills. The candidate must be willing to travel 80% of the time.
Preferred Experience & Education:
Previous experience in a cooperage or sawmill operation and intimate knowledge of stave manufacturing procedures.
Skills: Multi-Tasking Ability, Negotiation Skills, Oral & Written Communication and Analytical Skills.
Grade 28 National
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Production
Req ID: JR-00000359