Brown-Forman Master Distiller & Distillery Manager - Slane Irish Whiskey in Slane, Ireland
Direct, lead, and manage distillery operations of Slane Castle Irish Whiskey including raw material management, distilling, quality, by-products processing, warehousing, maturation, disgorging, blending, and barrel management. Manage third party distilling and warehousing in support of Slane volume. Lead a staff of six employees with expected growth in the future. Manages maintenance of distillery grounds. Serves as key contact and partner with Conyngham family and home place team. As Master Distiller, serves as a spokesperson for Slane Distillery and the brand.
Responsible for controlling all management functions to produce the highest quality product possible, maximize levels of production, profitability, new technology, and morale consistent with company objectives, practices, and policies. Lead, manage, and provide overall operational direction and consistency to enhance productivity, quality, safety, environmental, and compliance. Responsible for maintaining distillery grounds. Key contact and partner with the Conyngham family and home place team. Serves as a spokesperson for Slane Distillery through brand events, seminars, trade shows, and presentations to distributors and other groups.
Leadership / Planning / Administration:
• Provide leadership and vision to the Slane organization to meet short and long-term objectives for overall site management, distilling, warehousing, disgorging, blending, and barrel management. Accomplish plant objectives by establishing plans, budgets, and results measurements; allocating resources; reviewing progress; making mid-course corrections.
• Increases management's effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and holding team members accountable; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
• Ensures uniform application and consistency of Company policies and procedures and develops good employee relations.
• Develops production schedule to meet annual volume and oversees planning and procurement of fuel, grain, barrels, other raw materials.
• Ensures accurate and timely government and compliance reporting.
• Builds company image by collaborating with employees, customers, government, and community organizations; enforcing ethical business practices.
• Key “on the ground” contact with the Conyngham family.
Production / Safety / Quality / Environmental:
• Directly responsible for the operation’s budget, reliability of production, product quality, governmental compliance, employee safety, environmental impact, and operational issues.
• Ensures the efficient utilization of production operations to produce high quality product within the prescribed standard operating procedures for safety, quality, cost, environmental, and compliance. Plans, directs and ensures controls of all distilling, warehousing, disgorging, blending, and shipping of high proof bulk at the facility.
• Directs the review and evaluation of operating practices and procedures to improve effectiveness and efficiency of production.
• Drive safety initiatives. Ensure that safe working conditions exist and that all programs and policies are effectively implemented and practiced; including European OSHA and ATEX.
• Ensure compliance with BF quality policies, standards, and systems including plant sanitation and GMP procedures.
• Ensures an environmentally friendly and robust distillery grounds maintenance program is followed.
• Fosters an environment that is inclusive of everyone driving accountability at all levels and valuing the contributions of all employees. Promotes a shared understanding of organizational values, operating principles, and company cultural to support the achievement of business goals.
• Provide coaching to direct reports for personal development and growth. Resolve performance issues through coaching and/or coordination with HR for training and development. Lead the performance management process.
• Reviews organization and staffing plans to ensure they are consistent and adequate for attainment of site objectives.
• Provide leadership, direction, and accountability to meet or exceed operational budget.
• Develop short and long-term capital plans and major maintenance improvement projects.
• Travels up to 10% (5 weeks per year) as an ambassador, performing or conducting the following types of events: (1) Press, radio and television interviews; (2) providing presentations to wholesalers, retailers, various liquor control boards, etc.; (3) bottle signings; (4) promotion events such as: tastings, product promotion-whiskey fest and spirits expo-type events (5) market visits.
• Conduct VIP tours of the production facilities for various distributor groups (international and domestic) and other groups as appropriate, and help conduct tasting for these groups and providing the history of the products.
• Responsible for tasting and evaluating maturing whisky inventory for allocation in support of the brands. Tastes and evaluates current blends and formulates new blends.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business or related field with at least 10 years of experience in the distilling industry, leading operations, and developing people and teams. Equivalent education and experience combinations will be considered.
• Displayed understanding of distilling operations, supply chain processes, continuous improvement methodologies, as well as quality, safety and environmental practices.
• Demonstrated inclusive leadership, leading others and excellent communication skills. Ability to build and sustain excellent business relationships internally and externally.
• Strong business, financial, and analytical acumen.
• Ability to diagnose manufacturing issues and problem solve solutions to increase operational efficiencies and cost control.
• Demonstrated knowledge of whisky organoleptic processes and common test methods.
• Demonstrated oral and written communications skills and ability to deal with the media.
• Ability to travel up to 10% (5 weeks per year).
For more than 145 years, Brown-Forman Corporation has enriched the experience of life by responsibly building fine quality beverage alcohol brands, including Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey, Jack Daniel’s & Cola, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel, Finlandia, Korbel, el Jimador, Woodford Reserve, Old Forester, Canadian Mist, Herradura, New Mix, Sonoma-Cutrer, Early Times, Chambord, BenRiach and GlenDronach. Brown-Forman’s brands are supported by nearly 4,600 employees and sold in approximately 160 countries worldwide
For more information about the company, please visit http://www.brown-forman.com.
We're on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrownFormanJobs
See us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/brown-forman
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Production
Req Type: Exempt