Brown-Forman Lead Technical Accountant (remote opportunity) in St. Louis, Missouri
" This role offers the opportunity to use GAAP accounting expertise to guide Global Accounting and ensure compliance. You will be surrounded by a team of high performing talented people and have the opportunity to collaborate cross functionally in a company that exemplifies our core purpose of enriching life and our ambition to be “Nothing Better in the Market” in everything we do."-Director Corporate Accounting and Analytics, Hiring Manager
Meaningful Work From Day One
Provide technical GAAP guidance and expertise to ensure global compliance with current accounting standards. Lead financial accounting, analysis, reconciliation, and reporting with a focus on benefits and compensation. This position will report directly to the Director of Corporate Accounting and Analytics.
What You Can Expect
● Use GAAP accounting expertise to provide practical guidance to Global
Accounting and implementing new accounting standards.
● Manage quarterly balance sheet review process and present results to executive leadership.
● Manage accounting, reporting, and analysis activities for assigned corporate
groups including benefits and compensation, legal, risk management, and
accounts receivable support. This includes monthly, quarterly, and year-end
accounting close activities, analysis, and reconciliation.
● Lead the accounting for acquisition/divestiture/joint venture projects as needed.
● Lead and execute centralized activities at the Corporate level (e.g. discount
expense accrual, accounting and analysis, balance sheet account
reconciliations involving multiple regions) which will involve working with Regional
Controllers and other cross functional departments.
● Assist in ensuring appropriate internal controls are in place and compliance with
corporate financial policies.
● Utilize Brown-Forman systems (such as SAP, BW, Workiva, Google environment,
Tableau and Excel) to retrieve data, produce reports, and analyze results.
● Execute special projects including research, project management, presentations
to leadership, and training users.
● Benefits and compensation accounting
● Cash and equity based incentives accounting
● Pension accounting
● Stock purchase/dividend accounting, EPS calculations
● Expat accounting
● Short-term and long-term bonus accruals
● Severance accounting
● Review risk management, legal and other corporate accounting functions
● Revenue recognition accounting guidance and compliance (ASC 606)
● Lease accounting guidance and compliance (ASC 842)
● Assist accounts receivable with CECL calculations to estimate and evaluate
allowance for doubtful accounts
● Acquisition and divestiture accounting expertise.
Financial Analysis and Reconciliation
● Prepare balance sheet review package, which is a key control to identify
misstatements and is presented to the Chief Accounting Officer
● Obtain balance sheet fluctuation comments from the Regional Controllers and
analyze to ensure they are reasonable in comparison with other financial
statement line item results
● Use comments provided among other analysis performed to ensure accuracy
and explain results during the Balance Review; which helps leadership gain
comfort there are no material misstatements, and results are in line with
● Prepare and review balance sheet account reconciliations
● Assist with benefit-related and lease disclosures
● Assist with the 10Q/10K tieout
GAAP and SOX Compliance, Accounting Policies and Conventions
● Provide technical GAAP guidance and expertise to Global Accounting
● Assist with 10K/Q disclosure requirements
● Lead new accounting policy development and assist with the maintenance of
● Execute implementation of new accounting policies and procedures
● Provide training to Global Accounting as needed
What Exactly Are We Looking For?
● BS/BA in accounting or finance
● Minimum 6 years of experience in public accounting
● Technical GAAP accounting expertise
● Preferred benefits and acquisition/divestiture accounting experience
● CPA required
● Expertise in US GAAP and the ability to translate complex standards into
● Superior attention to detail with focus on accuracy, yet able to rise above the
details to tell the story
● Ability to validate, analyze and sort through large amounts of data
● Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
● Ability to communicate and present in a clear and concise manner; in both verbal
and written communication
● Thorough understanding of financial statements and how they interact
● Self-motivated to work independently and manage multiple projects within tight
● Demonstrated expertise in Microsoft Excel and Google Office applications
What Sets You Apart
● Systems - SAP, BW, Alteryx, and Tableau experience
● Revenue recognition (ASC 606), lease accounting (ASC 842), and CECL
● Blackline account reconciliation experience
What You Can Add to the Team
● Team-player with the ability to create partnerships and build effective
● Excellent intellectual curiosity, problem solving, and decision-making skills
● Strong sense of accountability and ownership
● Continuous improvement mindset with the ability to streamline and automate
Locations considered for this opening:
B-F Headquarters office in Louisville, KY, remote/hybrid
Locations for a remote work from home set-up include: Cincinnati, OH; Indianapolis, IN; Nashville, TN; St. Louis, MO
This position is posted with multiple locations, you only need to apply to one of the postings to be considered for all locations and/or the remote work option.
The Global Talent Acquisition team plays a key role in the Global Employee Experience function whose focus is to strengthen the Brown-Forman Employment Brand, support our culture of belonging and inclusion, enable the recruitment and retention of high caliber talent, and ensure that Brown-Forman is a great place to work.
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Finance
Req ID: JR-00003864