Brown-Forman Director of Corporate Affairs– (ANZPI and APAC) in Sydney, Australia
Brown-Forman, a longstanding leader in promoting the responsible enjoyment of beverage alcohol products, seeks to retain a Corporate Affairs professional to assist in implementing its strategies to promote alcohol responsibility and commercial freedom. This will include:
• Assessing the cultural and political environment affecting the distilled spirits industries in ANZPI and APAC and providing sound strategic and tactical advice to the Corporation;
• Serving as an advocate for the Corporation’s interests with the Australian Commission and other APAC member state governments; and,
• Furthering the Corporation’s policies as its representative on industry trade associations and social aspects organizations.
For incumbents with a legal degree, there is the additional responsibility of managing the Senior Attorney, APAC, located in Hong Kong. This role will oversee the provision of day-to-day legal services throughout the region and advise on legal matters of strategic, transactional and corporate legal matters.
• Strategically inform, identify and advise the Corporation on public policy initiatives to promote industry self-regulation, alcohol education, and alcohol responsibility throughout the Region.
• Contribute to the development of a comprehensive strategy and consistent practice for Brown-Forman government relations for the Region.
• Work closely with B-F management to develop and implement a proactive agenda to advance the Corporation’s commercial interests in the Region. This will involve: (1) working to protect the Corporation’s interests from threats that would worsen the commercial environment for the responsible sale and marketing of distilled spirits; and, (2) identifying and working (most often collectively with others in the beverage alcohol industry) to reform existing laws, policies and regulations that unreasonably impede Brown-Forman’s business in the Region.
• Spokesman for company on political and alcohol responsibility matters with governments, politicians and regulators.
• Advise and provide support on strategic and policy matters in the areas of alcohol responsibility and corporate affairs.
• Participate actively on the business leadership teams with responsibility for the region. These are responsible for regional resource allocation, budgeting and strategy; people development and evaluation; setting the regional “tone at the top” from a BF culture and compliance standpoint; and general management of the business and organization in the region.
• Serve as the Corporation’s primary representative on day-to-day matters involving trade associations of which Brown-Forman is a member in the Region. These include DSICA (Spirits & Cocktails Australia), ABA (all-sector Australia), Spirits New Zealand, APIWSA (APAC region), FSPA (China), TABBA (Thailand), DWSIA (Korea), APTRA (APAC Travel Retail), ISWA (Indonesia), and the current Philippines organization. Work closely with the VP, Managing Director Australia/NZ and the VP, Managing Director Emerging Asia and IMENA in determining policy and involvement in all these and other discussion forums. Participate as necessary in each of these organization’s meetings and provide regional and corporate executives with regular briefings and advice on their activities and initiatives.
• Coordinate lobbying on behalf of the Corporation, including assuring compliance with the highest ethical standards and all applicable laws and governmental regulations.
• The position will involve extensive interface throughout the Region and frequent interface with Brown-Forman’s corporate offices in the United States.
• This position will be responsible for directing and overseeing the newly formed Rights & Responsibilities committee within BF-Australia.
• If applicable: Managing the Hong Kong-based Senior Attorney in the provision of day-to-day legal services throughout the region. Advising regional management directly in respect of strategic legal matters. Ensuring the cost-effective delivery of legal services to the corporation throughout the region. Advising the EVP, General Counsel and Secretary of the Corporation in respect of regional legal matters requiring corporate attention. Legal oversight and work is estimated to constitute 20-25% of the job (with obvious fluctuation depending upon the nature of pressing matters).
• Corporate affairs professional with a graduate degree and at least 5 years of applicable experience.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. The successful candidate will be an organized thinker, a good planner and a strong advocate. The candidate must be able to communicate, even on highly complex matters, in short, readable memos.
• Ability to lobby successfully for company and industry positions. Brown-Forman places great emphasis on the ability to strategize and persuade; these qualities are fundamental to this position.
• Multi-cultural mindset
• Team player.
• Highest reputation for integrity.
• Good judgment. Brown-Forman recognizes that public policy, particularly in the beverage alcohol area, can be sensitive and controversial. The successful candidate will recognize these sensitivities and have demonstrated the ability to use common sense and exhibit balanced thinking.
• Ability to set priorities identifies opportunities, and see matters through to successful completion. The successful applicant will be a self-starter capable of managing a variety of projects efficiently with minimal supervision.
Education: Law degree
Experience: At least seven 7 years’ experience practicing law in private practice and / or in-house
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Experience managing attorneys. Experience managing outside counsel. Experience managing a legal department budget. Experience working in countries and cultures other than Australia. Ex-patriate experience.
#AC 1 #TAC #GlobalJDFOB
For more than 145 years, Brown-Forman Corporation has enriched the experience of life by responsibly building fine quality beverage alcohol brands, including Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey, Jack Daniel’s & Cola, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel, Finlandia, Korbel, el Jimador, Woodford Reserve, Old Forester, Canadian Mist, Herradura, New Mix, Sonoma-Cutrer, Early Times, Chambord, BenRiach and GlenDronach. Brown-Forman’s brands are supported by nearly 4,600 employees and sold in approximately 160 countries worldwide
For more information about the company, please visit http://www.brown-forman.com.
We're on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrownFormanJobs
See us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/brown-forman
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Corporate
Req Type: Exempt