Brown-Forman Woodford Reserve Quality Control Specialist - Distillery in Versailles, Kentucky
Meaningful Work From Day One Responsible for monitoring quality and adherence to specifications for all whiskey production on all shifts. Provides information to all production employees on the interpretation and application of related quality standards by using problem solving techniques and objective testing to assure conformance to standards. Collects and reports quality, production, and process information to management. Primary conductor of laboratory testing and other departmental activities to maintain compliance with TTB regulations. Responsible for coordinating the qualitative analysis of raw materials, intermediates, and new whiskey samples collected throughout the distillation process and chemical analysis, adjustment, and approval for grains, fermentations, distillate, and by-products.
What You Can Expect
○ Perform HPLC analysis of mash/beer daily and as required.
○ Perform accurate and timely analysis of raw materials, production, by-product samples and any other samples that may be necessary to monitor the production process.
○ Perform data entry and analysis as required to maintain production logs or other data capture tools.
○ Perform routine maintenance and calibration of all distillery laboratory and production monitoring equipment to ensure compliance.
○ Participate in process and product troubleshooting efforts and provide analytical support as requested. Partner with Operations to troubleshoot material quality concerns.
○ Maintain statistical process control charts and lead reviews with operations to drive improvements to yield.
○ Responsible for the quality root cause corrective action program in the distillery.
○ Ensure that sensory routine and training samples are pulled, prepared, and placed into the sensory booths as scheduled. Assist with result interpretation and analysis. ○ Participate on the Housekeeping and Sanitation Committee. Conduct HK&S and Quality System audits as assigned. Follow up with stakeholders to ensure corrective actions are taken to address findings.
○ Document process deviations in EtQ system and report to the Quality Control Manager.
○ Participate in Laboratory Housekeeping and Sanitation activities. Maintain awareness and demonstrate willingness to conform to all hygiene and sanitation requirements as detailed in the Brown-Forman Quality Standards.
○ Grain Testing: Monitor incoming grain quality through grain testing. ○ Milling: Monitor the milling process through sieve analysis.
○ Mashing: Monitor mash and beer as needed to ensure process control and quality. ○ Fermentation: Monitor fermentation process to identify any deviations in product and process. Report out of specification conditions to Distillery and QC management. ○ Distillation: Monitor still operation by analyzing samples for proof and base loss. ○ New Whiskey Load out: Sample, monitor and report load-out activities to ensure accuracy of the distillery yield metric and TTB reporting requirements. Ensure compliance with new whiskey security protocols throughout the process. ○ Ensure that all distillery water systems adhere to water quality standards and specifications.
○ Responsible for monitoring yeast media and conducting yeast transfers with operations.
○ Assist in providing Quality training for all employees as needed.
○ Must meet/comply with all safety requirements, attend required training, and wear personal protective equipment where required.
○ Serve as a backup Plant Production Leader for operations as needed. ○ Responsible for covering distillery, bottling, or processing operations for 1st, 2nd or 3rd shift due to vacations, leave, or as needed
We Are Looking For People Who
○ Bachelor's Degree Chemistry, Microbiology Chemical Engineering or related field and 1-2 years of production process/quality control related experience or 5+ years experience in beverage/food industry, analytical methods and laboratory procedures including general laboratory equipment.
○ Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
○ Experience with analytical instrumentation (HPLC)
○ Demonstrated ability to conduct analytical testing by following test methods and accurately interpreting results.
○ Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
○ Possess physical capabilities to safely satisfy work requirements within industrial work settings. Includes the expectations of bending and lifting heavy objects (50+lbs).
○ Able to work in a hot/cold, noisy work environment, climb steps/walk/stand for extended periods of time and tolerate exposure to alcohol fumes, carbon dioxide and grain dust (corn, rye, malted barley).
What You Can Add To The Team
○ Experience in the beverage or food industry.
○ Professional certifications related to Quality.
○ Knowledge of TTB regulations.
○ Demonstrated knowledge of Statistical Process Control.
○ Comprehensive knowledge of HACCP and GMP’s
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Production
Req ID: JR-00004309